Hair Routine | January 2016

hair-routine-january-2016-rottenotter-rotten-otter-blog My last hair routine post was back in July and there's been a few changes in the products I'm using so I thought I'd write an update. My hair routine is split into two, an every day set of products and then every now and again products as well as treatments. Also this routine contains all of my favourite hair care brands; Philip Kingsley, Bumble And Bumble, Sacha juan, John Masters and Sebastian.

Neutrogena TGel Therapeutic Shampoo | £6.99 // I was a bit wary of trying this shampoo out when I first bought it as there are some scary side effects written on the cardboard packaging and since I already have sensitive skin, especially my scalp, I wasn't sure how I would get on with it. The coal tar in this treatment shampoo is meant to help with scalp eczema and since I was at a bit of a loss with how to stop flare ups, I felt like I had nothing to loose and started using it. I mix a small amount in with my usual shampoo so it isn't as potent and after just over six weeks of using it, and washing my hair once or twice a week, I haven't reacted badly to it. It hasn't been a miracle worker and completely cured my scalp but I do think it has made a difference. I'll still have bad weeks were I get a lot of new flare ups, this week has been particularly bad, but I'll also have good weeks were my scalp doesn't feel itchy.

Naked Mild Shampoo // This is the shampoo I mix with TGel and although it's nothing to write home about, it does what it says on the tin. Or bottle I should say. It's a gentle shampoo that doesn't irritate my scalp, keeps my hair feeling clean and doesn't dry my hair out which is all I really want in a shampoo. I stocked up on a couple of bottles when it was reduced to £1 from Boots about six months ago since the brand Naked no longer exists.

Naked Gentle Conditioner // Again I stocked up on quite a few bottles of this conditioner when it was reduced in price. Unlike the shampoo, I have previously tried this conditioner and really liked it. I think I'm onto my third tube now and I really wish it was still available. Again it's gentle so doesn't irritate my scalp but it also doesn't irritate the skin on my face which other conditioners have. It also keeps my hair feeling soft and doesn't really have much of a scent which I like.

Sachajuan Ocean Mist | £18 // After my hair has sat in a towel for about fifteen minutes, I move onto styling products. My hair routine is very basic and minimal but it works. I use a sea salt spray all over my hair and then touch up my parting a bit. Although I have a few favourites, I really love this one from Sachajuan. I love the bottle design, scent and how it works in my hair. No matter how much I use, my hair is never left feeling hard or crispy. I have naturally curly/wavy hair so I use salt sprays to enhance this without it going too frizzy.

Bumble And Bumble Surf Infusion | £21.50 // Salt sprays can leave the hair feeling a little dry so this is where Surf Infusion comes into play. Once I applied Ocean Mist, I go over my hair with this one from B&B which is an oil and salt spray mix. It adds shine and moisture back into my hair that the salt spray can sometimes take out. I've nearly finished this bottle and have just ordered a back up so I'm not without it.


Treatments

Philip Kingsley Elasticizer | £29 // I've tried a lot of hair masks and deep conditioners over the years but Elasticizer is my favourite and the one I repurchase over and over again. It's a pre-shampoo treatment and I usually combine it with the PK scalp mask as both need the hair damp before you use them. You let this sit on the hair for about thirty minutes and then rinse and wash your hair as normal. Whenever I use this I find I need to use less conditioner and my hair always feels amazingly soft afterwards.

Lush H'Suan Wen Hua Hair Treatment |  £9.75 // This is a newer hair mask I've been using and while it doesn't beat Elasticizer, I have been enjoying it. The scent of this one is odd and I know a lot of people wont like it and would be put off using it because of this. While I don't love the scent, I can ignore it because it really does work. It's ingredients list is full of fresh ingredients such as eggs, bananas and avocado so it's shelf life is much shorter than usual hair products. I would like the tub to be slightly smaller and for the price to decrease simply because I haven't been able to use it all before the expiration date came and went. It still smells ok and looks the same so I'm going to carry on using it for now. As well as the fresh ingredients, it's also packed full of different oils so it's incredibly moisturising. This is another pre-shampoo treatment but you apply it to dry hair. Despite the strong scent to begin with, once I shampoo and condition as normal the scent disappears.

Philip Kingsley Itchy/Flaky Scalp Toner |  £20 // Now my scalp has improved dramatically over the past six months to a year, I only reach for this toner when I need it rather than after every wash. When my scalp is feeling itchy, all I need to do is apply a little bit of this water to the areas that need it and my scalp is instantly soothed and the itchiness goes. I still wish it was available in a spray bottle as I feel like this would make it easier to apply but it's a product I will never be without.

Philip Kingsley Exfoliating Scalp Mask | £8 // On Sundays I always use some sort of scalp treatment and although I have a few that I like, I usually reach for this scalp mask from PK or the scalp serum from John Masters. You apply this all over the scalp, I usually get my mum to do it for me and we'll catch up with a tv show, massage in and then leave for about twenty minutes before shampooing and conditioning as usual. When you use this it can feel like it's not doing anything as it doesn't tingle or anything like you'd expect given the name exfoliating mask but it just helps to maintain the eczema on my scalp.

John Masters Organics Scalp Deep Scalp Purifying Serum |  £23 // This one on the other hand you can feel working. It helps to soothe my scalp so it's the one I reach for when it's particularly itchy. This is also one of the few scalp treatments I have that doesn't look like you've got anything in your hair once it sinks in. This means it can be applied in the morning and you're able to get on with your day without having to wash it out. Again, I get my mum to apply it for me and then I just let it sink in.

Sebastian Professional Potion 9 | £25 // I reach for this styling cream/gel when I want to add moisture to my hair and I usually use it after I wash my hair on a Friday night. This works amazingly well at enhancing my natural curls especially if I go to bed with my hair still slightly wet. I first heard about this from Meg and I am so glad she blogged about it as its become a firm favourite and I'm going to buy the larger size when this one is empty.


Follow me on Bloglovin' // Google+ // Instagram // Pinterest // Twitter // Tumblr.

Comments

Popular Posts