Hay Fever Essentials

hay fever essentials rottenotter rotten otter blog
It's only apt that while I am writing this post I have the most horrendous hay fever I've had so far this year. I am currently on day two, have just opened a second box of tissues and it's only 10am. My nose and eyes are streaming, my head is feeling bunged up and I have to stop typing every five seconds to grab a tissue.

Enter the products I am keeping close to hand throughout the day to try and make me feel better. Aside from constantly moaning all day about how many times I've managed to sneeze in a row, the only thing that makes me feel better when I am having a hay fever day is ice cold products and ice cold water, I make sure I drink at least two litres of water to keep me hydrated. Dehydration can actually make your hay fever symptoms worse!

If you have only just started to get hay fever or don't currently take hay fever tablets for it then do so. I wouldn't normally encourage or recommend taking tablets but for me, taking hay fever tablets is essential as I get it bad. If I didn't take them I'd have hay fever everyday even throughout the winter. I am allergic to pollen, grass, dust and animals and by taking these tablets, for the majority of the time, it completely cancels out my allergies. I will still have a few hay fever days throughout the year but it is only a few. It's trial and error but you will find ones that work for you and stick with them. Also making sure you take them each day is essential as they need to get into your system for them to work. When I skip a day as I've forgotten to take a tablet I know I'll have a hay fever day in a few days time.

It may be an obvious one but if you know you'll have a hay fever day then keep a couple of boxes of nice tissues in the cupboard. I always go for Kleenex Balsam as although I'll still have a sore and red nose at the end of the day, it's a million times better than if I'd used a cheaper box.

During summer months it's nice to keep a couple of products in the fridge so they'll be extra soothing on your eyes. The three products I use are Liz Earle Eye Bright, simply pour some onto cotton pads and sit back and relax while they're sitting on your eyes for ten minutes. In the mornings I'll reach for Origins No Puffery Eye Mask before applying the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Eye Roll-On. The Vichy eye cream is a gel formula and not only does the metal tip feel amazing on the skin, it's incredibly light feeling and helps to reduce puffiness.

If my eyes are feeling puffy and I'm just sitting at home then I'll use the Ying Yu Jade Facial Roller and gently roll it under my eyes on on my temples which helps to relieve that hay fever headache I tend to get. Since it's made out of jade it keeps itself cold and there is no need to keep it in the fridge. It may seem like an expensive and unnecessary purchase but it really does work and you will not regret buying it, at least I haven't. Another one if you're just relaxing at home is a gel filled eye mask, I think this little one was free with  a beauty box but you can find them in Boots. I keep mine in the freezer so I know it'll be ready to use if I have a hay fever day. Just put on some relaxing music or a film and sit back and relax with the eye mask on.

Follow me on Bloglovin' // Facebook // Google+ // Instagram // Pinterest // Twitter // Tumblr.

Comments

  1. I had awful hay fever this year until someone recommended the Pirinase nose spray - its changed my life. you should rush out and get it asap!! Seriously it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid hay fever! I don't know why but this year it comes and goes and comes back again, instead of being concentrated in one week or so!

    I've noticed that the best thing I could do last weekend when I had a fit was to shut the windows. It was annoying because it is so hot!

    MsBubu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts