Discovering Diptyque

discovering diptyque rottenotter rotten otter blog
I love perfume and I wear it on a daily basis and have done for years. It's only since blogging though that I first heard about Diptyque but since there isn't a Space NK near me I haven't had a chance to smell or buy any of the perfumes. I've read all the scent descriptions but it's quite rare for me to order a scent without smelling it first, especially when I'm paying between £50 and £80 for it.

Whilst browsing the Space NK Christmas sales there were a lot of Diptyque perfumes at really cheap prices since they were the old packaging. The new packaging is rounder which I do prefer but I'm not going to pass up a bargain because of this.

The one perfume I knew I wanted was Philosykos as it's the only scent I have tried in person so that quickly went into my basket. Over the last few months I've become a huge fan of fig scents and this one is no exception. Philosykos is more of a fresh fig scent than other fig products I've tried. It also has a hint of coconut which makes a perfect summer scent although I'm wearing it throughout the winter at the moment. It's completely different to any other perfume I have, something a bit different and unique and slightly more grown up.
In the heat of a Greek summer, “to get to the sea,” recalls Yves, “you had to walk through a natural orchard of wild fig trees.” Returning from Paris, Desmond brought back a few leaves of these trees in a little box. Years later, the leaves had lost none of their fragrance. Philosykos, which in Greek means “friend of the fig tree,” is an ode to the entire tree: the green, pungent freshness of the leaves, the wood warmed in the sun, the milky flavor of the fruit.
Whilst browsing the site I saw that Tam Dao was also part of the sale, this being one of the other scents from my Diptyque perfume wish list I decided to order it as well. Did I really need two more perfumes? Not really but I just could not resist. When else am I able to buy a 100ml bottle of Diptyque perfume for £20 and £35?!

Tam Dao was a risk taker though as I hadn't actually smelt it before. Sandalwood is one of my favourite notes in a perfume and this is what Tam Dao is based around. I also remembered Anna talking about pairing Tam Dao and Philosykos together to create a spicy-woody-fig scent, a blog post that has been at the back of my mind since she wrote it. The two perfumes really do go so well together and the addition of Tam Dao turns Philosykos into more of a Autumn and Winter perfume.
The mountains of Tonkin tremble under the weighty steps of elephants carrying uprooted trees of precious wood through the vines. Majestic sandalwood breathes out its redolence in the sweltering heat of the jungle...Tam Dao pays tribute to the most sought-after of the sacred woods: the sandalwood of Goa.
These two perfumes have definitely started a new obsession and I'm thinking I just need to try one of their candles.

What's your favourite Diptyque perfume?

Follow me on Twitter // Tumblr // Pinterest  // Bloglovin' // Instagram

Comments

  1. Ive been wanting to try some products from Diptyque for ages :)!

    Berrie-Blogs: Beauty Blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get myself down to a Space NK so I can experience these in person! I've been eyeing up some of their candles for a while now but don't want to risk buying online and not liking them when they arrive x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried a Diptyque perfume yet! Like you, there isn't a store very near me that carries them but I know next time I'm in a Nordstrom I'll definitely be giving their scents a whiff. (I'll have to check out these two for sure!)
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever tried one of their candles but the scents are incredible!

    Beth | BethBlogsBeauty
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog !
    maybe you want to follow each other?
    let me know :)
    xoxo

    www.mychoicebysorana.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound incredible! I haven't tried Diptyque because their products are hard to find where I live but I'm definitely going to purchase some of their products next time I visit a store that stocks them.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts