Mini Reviews 005 // Philip Kingsley Hair Care

philip kingsley hair care rottenotter rotten otter blog
Just by looking at the photo you can probably see a theme here. A month or two ago I had a horrible itchy and flaky scalp because of pesky eczema. I've tried everything and I thought I'd found a good shampoo, Barefoot SOS dry scalp which worked amazingly well when I first tried it. I know the shampoo isn't the cause but I thought I'd mix up my hair care completely in case my scalp had become sort of immune to it.

Exfoliating Scalp Mask - I've never tried anything like this before and I wasn't sure how my sensitive scalp would get on with it but I just had to get it. You can only get this in a 20ml tube for £4.70 so it could get expensive as it's recommended to be used weekly until your itchy scalp disappears. I've managed to get three uses out of it. You dampen your hair and apply it to your scalp in partings 3cm apart, massage into the scalp and then leave on for 10-20 minutes and rinse away. You then follow up with your shampoo and conditioner as usual. I couldn't feel this on my scalp when it was left on, for some reason I was expecting it to tingle or something. I did find it hard to use on myself so next time I'm going to see if my mum will apply it for me, this is when you really need eyes in the back of your head! It's easy to wash out and has also really helped my the dry patches I get from eczema. My scalp and roots of my hair felt really soft after using it which I've never noticed before with any other product.

Flaky/Itchy Scalp Shampoo - This smells like apples and reminds me of shampoos I used as a child which I love. This has really helped with my itchy scalp and apart from a bit of eczema at the base of my neck, it's pretty much gone on my scalp and I really think it's down to this. It lathers up really well and cleans your hair and scalp without stripping it and actually feels quite moisturising. I've already gone out and bought the full size bottle as this little travel sized tube was running low!

Moisture Extreme Conditioner - There isn't a flaky/itchy scalp conditioner so I went with the Moisture Extreme as my hair is very dry and I wanted to try a full set of Philip Kingsley products. You only need a tiny amount of this as it has a thinner texture than most conditioners meaning it applies better. I only had to leave it on for a minute or so before rinsing off and my felt amazingly soft. The ends of my hair have been incredibly dry recently but using this, even after the first use, has made such a difference. It's also helped my hair to look less frizy.

Flaky Itchy Scalp Toner - You separate your hair into one inch sections and apply the toner to your scalp, massaging it in as you go. It's used in a similar way to the Moroccanoil dry scalp oil which I talked about the other month. Luckily I'm able to have my mum apply this for me, I have no idea how I'd do it myself without pouring the whole bottle on my head! Maybe if it was in a spray bottle you'd be able to apply it yourself, I've no idea.

You can either apply it to dry hair or once you've washed and towel dried it. I tend to use it on dry hair at the end of the week when my scalp is at it's worst. I find if I use it on towel dried hair it messes up how my hair dries naturally but if you use a hair dryer or straighten/curl your hair then you wont have this problem. It isn't an oil so it doesn't make your hair look greasy once it has dried. About an hour after using it I can go out and no one would be able to guess I'd just applied anything to my hair which I was a bit concerned about before I bought it. I'm pleased it's worked out this way as it means I can apply it during the week and my hair will look fine for work without needing to wash it more often than once a week. Washing it more often will keep my scalp clean which helps my eczema but then the process of washing my hair irritates my scalp, it's a viscous circle. This, and the shampoo, have really helped with my itchy scalp and apart from a couple of stubborn patches, I'm itch free.

Comments

  1. I find I have to wash my hair everyday because my scalp eczema gets so damn itchy! May have to try the scalp mask x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What shampoo are you using? I noticed a massive difference in my scalp just by switching shampoos. I was originally using Herbal Essence but once I got the eczema on my scalp it just made it a million times worse. Shampoos that have worked for me are Barefoot SOS, Ojon volume, various bedhead ones and this Philip Kingsley one.

      It definitely took a while for my hair to get used to only being washed once a week, probably a couple of months but it's the best thing I could have done to my scalp. Mine gets really itchy when I wash it so the less I wash it, the less itchy it gets. :) xx

      Delete
    2. I'm using a variety of SLS free ones - Naked, Tigi, Organix, Organic Surge, The Body Shop atm! I've been SLS free for two years and whilst it's improved, it's so goddamn itchy!

      I wouldn't be able to leave mine for a week - it'd go so itchy yet oily (tried going three days once, was torture!) x

      Delete
    3. Been to the doctors about it? Is it just itchy or is your scalp dry? I have a really dry scalp which is what makes it itchy and the philip kingsley toner has really helped, you can apply it after you wash your hair and style as normal, that might help? xx

      Delete
    4. I've even been to dermatologists in the past and the only things they've given me have been pink (allergic to pink colourings!) with SLS's in, so complete disaster! I'll check the toner out, might do some good :) ta x

      Delete
  2. After hearing so much about the Phillip Kingsley Elasticiser it's good to read about some other products from the brand x

    http://anna-blush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've always wanted to try this line! I might just have to give it a try now!

    -Elodie x

    http://www.elle-yeah.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts